Monday, June 9, 2014

Patchwork and Chenille

 I have recently fallen in love with Chenille.


Who knew Chenille could add such interest and texture to a quilt?
And it washes up deliciously soft and buttery.
Soft like a teddy bear.


This is one of my very favorite go-to designs for a quilt.  It's super fast and easy, but with simple classic patchwork that catches your eye.


Notice how the Chenille is wider spaced than your typical Chenille?  This is Riley Blake's Chenille.  It's AMAZING.


Yummy right?


Tips for working with Chenille:

  • Have a vacuum on hand for after you've cut the Chenille. It's messy, like Minky.  And you probably should use your old cutting mat that you save for cutting batting and minky.  Don't use your new pretty one.
  • I recommend purchasing high quality (quilt shop) Chenille, rather than from the you-know-where store.
  • Wash in COLD COLD water.  I detest pre-washing fabric, and the Chenille does shrink up quite a bit, so wash in cold and you'll be fine.  Promise.
  • It does shed, even after washing.  Use a lint roller over it.  I'm hoping that after it is washed a few times, the shedding will stop.  ;)


Quilt Stats:
Mostly Riley Blake Sidewalks fabric used  (purchased bundle from Fresh Modern Fabric)
Chenille purchased from my LQS
Measures: Approx 32 x 33

This quilt is in the shop!

Linking up To:
Anything Goes Mondays
Sew Cute Tuesday
Fabric Tuesday
Let's Bee Social
Needle & Thread Thursday


8 comments:

  1. I love this!! What a a great idea and the results are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thickness of this chenille is sooooo awesome - makes me want to cuddle right up with it for a nice snuggle. It adds such nice texture and warmth to your quilt, very appealing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a sweet cuddly quilt! Love the texture and simple design. Will make a nice snuggle quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great tips on using the Chenille. I think I'll stick to quilting cottons, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute quilt and you're right - the texture looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chenille is definitely yummy, although it sheds like a pug! It makes a great back for a quilt too. If I put chenille on the back, you can skip the batting if you want a summer weight quilt.
    Pugs and kisses to the Robot Children and to Mimi the Pug from Romeo, Elvis and LarryPug

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chenille. It's so cozy, and this is too cute!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! I reply via email, not in the blog post. If you are looking for a response to anything, let me know! Thank you for stopping by!